Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Freedom!

We've been a one car family since right before Tristan was born, so it's been two and a half years for me without a car. I know in some siuations that wouldn't be a big deal. In a city with public transportation or lots of things within walking distance? No big deal! In a family with a really flexible schedule and the ability to share a car- no big deal! But we live in the suburbs, and with Thad's work situation it's been almost impossible for us to share a car. Even before we planted the church, he was working as a youth pastor, with a second job on the side. He's gone A LOT, and needs the car constantly while he's gone, which means I can't just drop him off at work and then pick him up at the end of the day.



It's been a long 2.5 years, being stuck at home almost every day. But all that has changed- we have a second vehicle now!!! Some wonderful friends of ours got a new truck, and gave Thad their '88 Land Cruiser! It's an awesome old SUV, and is apparently pretty tough- the rumor is that the Land Cruiser was the first SUV to make it to the base camp of Mt. Kilamanjaro. Thad's pretty excited about that.



Isn't it cool looking?


It's pretty old school- manual locks, crank windows, etc.



And with this vehicle in our posession now, I get to drive our original Dodge Nitro! I finally have a car of my own!!! I am so incredibly excited about this! I can do whatever I want, whenever I want! I don't have to coordinate my grocery shopping day with Thad so that I can make sure I can use the car. I don't have to ask Thad to pick stuff up front the store when I forget something! I dont have to constantly turn down playdates because I'd have no way to get to them.



The biggest change has been in day to day life though. I knew it would make a huge difference for me to have a car, but I had no idea how huge. The simple ability to leave the house whenever I want has had such an effect on me! I'm feeling so much happier throughout the day. I'm actually getting more done around the house in less time. Amazing!


This second car also brings me one step closer to my dream of being a doula. I'm going to be able to study so much more now, because when I take the kids to the library, park, or jump house, they can actually play independently while I read or study! Most importantly, I'll now have a vehicle to drive to births!


I'm so excited. This has been a long time coming. I've finally got freedom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment